Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Chocolate Filled Strawberries


Have you ever bitten into a chocolate covered strawberry only to wish that there was more chocolate and less strawberry?  I know I have and to solve that little problem I decided to fill my strawberries with chocolate so that I could fit in as much chocolate flavour as possible!

All you need are three simple ingredients.


You will need:

150 grams of good quality dark chocolate (I used Lindt)
1/2 cup whipping cream
strawberries

That's it!  First slice the stems off of the strawberries.


With a small knife, hollow out the inside.  I just followed along the white part and everything came out easily.


The strawberries have to stay upright while the chocolate ganache hardens in the centre so I turned an egg tray upside down and they fit perfectly in the spaces on the bottom.


Now to make the chocolate ganache.  I used 1/2 of the large bar pictured above.


Finely chop the chocolate and place it in a glass bowl.


Next heat the whipping cream until it is hot but not boiling.


Then pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let it sit for about 30 seconds to melt the chocolate.


Now start to whisk the mixture together.


Keep whisking until the mixture is smooth.


At this point you could add a couple of tablespoons some sort of liqueur to the mixture.  I have added some Creme de Cacao but a nice orange flavoured liqueur would be good too.  I opted not to add any to this batch.

Now it's time to fill a piping bag.  If you don't have a piping bag you can use a Ziplock bag instead.  Place the bag inside a large glass to hold it open for you while you pour in the ganache.


Do NOT cut the tip yet as the ganache is still quite runny!  Close the top of the piping bag and hold the bag over the strawberries.


Now you can carefully cut the tip. I have yet to cut it without making a mess!


All that's left is to start filling the strawberries.


 Once the strawberries are filled, place them in the fridge for at least an hour so that the ganache can harden.


There was a little ganache left over but I found a quick and easy way to clean that up!


And that is my Chocolate Filled Strawberry Recipe!




1 comment:

  1. I can vouch for the absolute delectable taste of these! I am salivating just looking at these photos and remembering their wonderful taste!

    ReplyDelete