Wednesday, November 14, 2012

How Much Do You Hate Polishing Silver?!


I absolutely hate to polish silver!  There is so much work involved what with smearing on an awful smelling paste and  rubbing each piece until my fingers ached.  There are fancy dips that I have used but, besides not being very good for your silver,  also requires a gas mask just to stand the fumes!  So when I saw one of those Pinterest tricks for polishing silver I pinned it immediately.  In fact, I pinned it twice!  A few months ago I gave it a try and I could not believe how easy it was!

Line a sink with tin foil.


Add a 1/2 cup of baking soda.


Then add a 1/2 cup of salt.


Fill the sink with warm water.


Now the instructions said to let silver soak in the sink for 30 minutes but I can tell you that it really doesn't take that long at all.  Each piece that I did only soaked for 10 minutes or less.

Here is a cream and sugar set that I found in a small china cabinet.  They are being donated to charity since I never used them but I decided to clean them up before I donated them.  I don't think they have ever been polished before.


I soaked the creamer first for about 5 minutes and this is what it looked like after!


It's hard to see the difference in this picture but here is one with both of them done.


Give everything a really good rinse after finishing because a salt film on the silver can be very corrosive.

I have to say that I will never use another way to polish silver again!

Here is the original link for the Pintrest post.

PS I absolutely love the quote at the top of the link.

If your house is really a mess and a stranger comes to the door, greet her with, “who could have done this? We have no enemies.”  - Phyllis Diller

No comments:

Post a Comment